Saturday, October 25, 2008

Saturday - In the Park?

Saturday. I'm not in the park, but it certainly feels like the 4th of July! Anyone recall these lyrics from Chicago? The Seventies?

I am excited to be alive today! I feel incredibly free!

Waiting for our son to arrive home this morning, my wife and had a very sweet time of prayer together.

We read and discussed a passage of Scripture - 1 Timothy 5:3-16 - Paul's writing on the treatment of widows. We discussed the responsibilities of the widow, the responsibilities of the family, and the responsibility of the church.

I am confident that my wife understands her role and responsibilities as a widow. I am also very excited about how God will be able to use her as an example and encouragement to others who are facing difficulties.

I have discussed with our older son his responsibilities and am confident that he will follow through, as will our daughter. Although they are young now, they understand that as they mature, their responsibilities to care for their mom and each other - and their younger brother - will increase. As for our younger son, I simply need to impress upon him the need to obey God - particularly by obeying his mom.

I know that our family - both natural and church - will continue to provide for my wife and children. There is great comfort in knowing this.


Ultimately, I am trusting that God will use all of these means to ensure that our family has the provision and security it needs, and that my family will continue to be equipped to live in a way that pleases our Father in Heaven.

Our son arrived home a little after ten.

Our good friends, the Tuttles, served us by getting up early this morning, driving two hours to Highland Falls, picking up our son, and driving him home. We spent rest of the morning visiting with them, reminiscing about all the great times we have had together in the past eleven years, and rejoicing together in God's goodness. Jamie helped my wife make some last-minute adjustments in our upstairs office to accomodate my move upstairs.

We have been catching up on life here and at WP. Some light-hearted discussions. Some deep discussions. All good. It is so nice having him home. One of our discussions was about him being at home with me and the family. We are together asking God for wisdom in this - we do not want him to miss anything at WP, but - at the same time - we do not him to have any regrets later about how much time he spent home with his family during this time.

As I have been mentioning, I have had many great e-mails in the past week. I have been blessed by reading each one of them, and blessed again by re-reading them with my wife. An e-mail arrived today from a former student from Canaan Christian Academy. This student gave me permission to share this on the blog; it is an example of the thoughtful encouragement that we have received from others:

One definition of bond: "to make or become firmly united" The other day while I was thinking and praying for you and your family I decided to look "bond" up in the dictionary and this definition truly describes your amazing family. You all are a HUGE blessing in my life. And I thank God for allowing me the privilege to know you. You have definitely let God do amazing things in your life. I see Jesus in and through you, through your blog and for the time I have spent time with you as my friends' dad, as my teacher, as my pastor, and as my mentor. You are truly a gift from God.

God has blessed us beyond measure. He has given us much more than we deserve. More than we could have ever imagined.

There is no doubt. He has given me a wonderful life. Filled with a wonderful family and friends. And to think, that is can only get better by seeing Jesus face to face. Way better than the 4th of July!

[My name is ,"Life is but a dream," and I approve this message.]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Jim & Merrily:
Many of our church family are reading your blog and have found it to be of great encouragement. Thank you for so graciously reminding us of our eternal perspective! It is so vital, yet we allow ourselves to become bogged down with the mundane of day-to-day life. Thank you for opening your lives as vessels poured out to God. We are praying for you and look forward to watching God's hand continue to work in and through your lives.
Jim, I still remember the first time I met you. You and my James carpooled to BBS together when you lived in Honesdale and we were still up in Waymart. For some reason, one day, I rode along to Clarks Summit with you guys. From there, God allowed you to go on to Forest City's church plant and God allowed us to settle in Carbondale. To His glory, we are seeing more and more people who desire to "come and see." We trust that through our lives they would desire to "see Jesus."
We are praying for you and your family during this time. Thank you again for your passion for God and your willingness to be open to share at a time when most would wish to turn inwardly.
Love in Christ,
Andrea Schmidt from North Valley Baptist Church

P.S. Please let us know how we can pray more specifically for you.
You can respond via e-mail at jralschmidt(at)yahoo.com