Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Old Friends and Random New Thoughts

What a blessing when long-lost, "old" friends become new friends again. And all through e-mail.

For the past few days, I have been e-mailing with a high school friend that I have wanted to re-connect with for many years. I am very much a nostalgic person and do not like to leave loose ends - meaning, I do not like to let friends go, even through that is an inevitability in life.

And then there is another friend who craves pistachios but remains elusive. Perhaps we will have an opportunity to revive the Kingston Trio Impersonators, even if only in our random thoughts, for only a moment.

People grow and change. And it is exciting to look back to who we were and to look how far we have come.

I am having a good morning. I slept relatively well. My pain is bearable, but present. Enough to remind me of who I am, what I am facing, and what I have to look forward to.

Michael and Jo left early this morning. My sister Ann is still here and being a great help to us - and we enjoy her being here!

I continue to thank God for the blessings that I have been given in these three weeks since the oncologist told me that I only had a month or two left. I have always wondered what kind of impact that sort of declaration would have on my life, and now I know. I am determined, by God's grace, to enjoy each moment, each day, each person that God allows to be part of my life during this time.

I woke up this morning thinking about growing up as "James Bond." A great topic for a blog entry, but not today.

Today is a relatively quiet day. A great day to be at home with our younger son.

I continue to thank God for my beautiful, smoking hot, Titus 2, Proverbs 31 wife. She is simply an amazing gift from God. She loves and serves me unconditionally. Her smile brightens my day. Her strength overwhelms me. I still have to pinch myself every once in a while when I am with her to know that she is really here with me.

In the next few days, we hope to connnect with more of our "local" friends. We miss them too and want to spend time with them.

Some random thoughts from my reading this morning:

Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of His saints. Psalm 116:15

To the child of God, there is no such thing as an accident, he travels an appointed way . . . (A.W. Tozer).

I am here by God’s appointment, in His keeping, under His training, for His time (Robert Morgan).

Our main business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what lies clearly at hand (Robert Morgan).

Today, I will try to focus on what is clearly at hand. All else will have to wait.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You remember those Kingston trio songs we sang!!! I read your blogs every day and you are an inspiration. You and your family are in my prayers
Scott Becker
e-mail sbecker086@yahoo.com
HHS class of 1982 and Kingston trio wanna be.

Unknown said...

The high-tenor is here! (Digitally challenged and overextended, but here nonetheless.) Jim, I pray that you can find at least a bit of happiness in recalling the old days, and I promise that I will be available this weekend, guitar (and pistachios) in hand. It would probably look a lot like the current grizzled CSN lineup, but at our age, who cares? There are way more important things... like, where did we leave our reading glasses? Hang in there, man... enjoy every sandwich! My thoughts are with you, and my family sends their love... - Boonie

Stanley Family Blessings said...

Oh, I get it. What you said just now awfully reminds me of what that family blessings
speaker said to us back then.

Harrison Hamilton Covenant Marriage Seminars said...

Hey, I like your site! It’s very professional both in content and design. I hope the Covenant Marriage Seminars site I’m currently building will achieve the same results. Hope the outcome pleases my client.