Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Revolving Door Hospitality

Yesterday evening and last night were filled with incredible pain and discomfort. I was practically at the point of begging my wife for more morphine. There was little relief to be found - until about three this morning.


This morning, I woke up groggy, but in considerably less pain. And I was very thankful.


My parents left an hour ago to drop my brother Scott off at the airport so that he can return home to his family in Colorado. It was so nice to have my parents here, but even more so - my two brothers. In a family of five children, I was separated from Scott and Bob the most in age. I never really connected with them as much as my two sisters. But having them both here for a few days was a real blessing.


Both of them spent a lot of time with our younger son, playing with him and doing projects with him. They also helped my wife know off some of the items on my "honey-do" list.

Feeling better, we took a drive this afternoon to enjoy the autumn foliage and ice cream from Gravity in Honesdale.

By the time we returned home, my pain increased significantly. I am thankful for the few hours of respite, though.

Friends continue to encourage me. My wife continues to love me through better and through worse. My God continues to strengthen me and provide for all my needs. His grace is sufficient for me. And His grace is sufficient for you in your circumstances right now.

Family and friends continue to visit. Our front door is a revolving door. But I enjoy the company. I enjoy the opportunity to be encouraged by and to encourage others. May God allow me to enjoy this blessing as my days on earth continue.

4 comments:

Thomas Ward said...

Hi Mr. Bond,
It's Thomas Ward, from Walker. I was very sorry to hear about your illness. I have enjoyed reading your blog, and I have been remembering how much I enjoyed having you as a middle school science teacher way back in the early 90s! Please know that your are in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Bond,
I really admire your strength during this phase in your life. You have touched more lives, during this, than you probably realize. Please know we are praying for you and your family.
God bless you, Mr. Bond!

Kelly said...

Sorry you had a tough while there. Was watching for your blog and wondering if things were OK; when I didn't see anything. It is remarkable how your story and sharing have brought so many people together; some that know you and your family and others like me who were just touched. I hope your pain can be lifted up with prayer!
As a wife who went through cancer two years ago when my husband was found to have rectal cancer at age 39 and two younger children at the time; after agressive treatment our story has the happy ending he is cancer free right now--which is what I pray for you! Being a partner with someone who has cancer needs just as much prayer and support; because I know first hand how complicated and trying that can be; to get through each day and night! So please know my thoughts and prayers are with the whole family and wish all Gods goodness for each of you!

May God Bless-
Kelly Savitz-Hoherchak

Elijah Covenant Marriage Seminars said...

Look at all the comments here. Well if you were talking about divorce maybe I can join in your heated discussion. I’ve just been to a series of Covenant Marriage Seminars, so I’m kinda
touchy about such a topic.