Wednesday, October 8, 2008

How Can I Cast off the Distractions? or How Can I Praise Him Enough?

Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out! Romans 11:33

In less than fifteen years of truly reading a studying the Bible, I have only scratched the surface. I have only just begin to understand God's wisdom, His knowledge, His judgments, and His ways.

Notice how Paul, in this great doxology - following his explanation of God's revealed plan for Israel - emphasizes God. His methods are beyond human comprehension. His purposes and plans, while beyond description, warrant that we should continually worship and praise Him for who He is and what He has done - even though we do not completely understand.

I do not have to completely understand everything in God's dealings with me. I simply need to accept that God always deals with me in a way that is fair and just and good. I simply need to understand that He is in control and I do not need to know all the answers to all my questions. I need to remember that these are God's ways, God's judgments, His knowledge, and it His wisdom that is supreme.

I do not need to be concerned with these things over which God is in control. Giving up such concern for the things that are under His control frees me to live for Him. To worship Him. To love Him. To minister to others in His name and for His sake.

The fact is, He has given us sufficient understanding. We are without excuse, according to Paul in Romans 1. As His created beings, He deserves our all.

And as I approach - perhaps - the end of my earthly existence, I feel like I cannot give Him enough of myself. But is it for that reason that eternity was created and that I am being prepared for eternity? - that I may, without distraction of hinderance of any sort, give Him all glory and honor and praise?

I have this feeling like I am being peeled away, somewhat like a onion - hopefully bringing more joy than tears to others - to reveal what God has truly created me to be for eternity.

Today is a day to cast off the distractions. To focus on my God and my Father. To focus on the life I have in Him. To focus on the people He has placed in my life. To Him be all glory and honor and praise.

4 comments:

Peas on Earth said...

I so praise God for your testimony every time I read your words. My younger brother died from cancer almost 3 years ago, and it was completely different, the way he handled it compared to your own response. I know you have struggles, I know there are some fears, but the peace and joy and hope that you have in Christ and his perfect, wise plan shines through it all, and, obviously, holds you together. My brother claimed to be saved (though there was almost no fruit of that), and I guess I will never know for certain on this earth. But, the whole thing challenged me to consider how I wanted to handle it if I ever found out I had a terminal illness. I can only hope that I would handle it with the dignity and grace and confidence that you are. Keep hanging in there, and bringing joy and light to your family and friends. I am confident that God has great plans for all of you. Peace, out~

Lisa Swingle said...

I am in awe at the acceptance and grace with which you and your family are handling your illness. I know that I, even being a christian, would not handle it as well.
I am hoping you'll listen to the song I am sending you as it has helped me when i needed some strength.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO4uIyz_d90

If the address does not work i am sure you know the song "Turn your eyes upon Jesus"
Please know that you and your family are in our hearts and prayers.
In Christ, Lisa Swingle and family

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog. I go to Canaan Christian church and have seen you and your family there. I just want you to know that you are helping many other people with your stories, advice, dedication, your verses, your praises... you are encouraging and I know God will help you and your family!! My prayers are with you! Thank you for sharing your journey!

Miguel Daniels Covenant Marriage Seminars said...

Nice blog! I remember a blog about Covenant Marriage Seminars with a similar
discussion. What a coincidence.