Monday, October 13, 2008

Red Sea Rules and Understanding on a Monday Morning

It's another Monday morning. We arose early, between 5 and 6, my wife and I, and spent personal time in God's Word and in prayer.

I read through a short book Red Sea Rules, by Robert Morgan. This book was sent home to me by a pastor from Highland Falls, NY; the pastor of a church that is ministering to our son while he is at the Academy.

Morgan reminded me, this morning, that I follow and worship the same God that led the Israelites out of Egypt in Exodus 14. And I should be learning some of the same lessons that they learned:

God wants me to be right here where I am; He wants me to be more concerned for God's glory than my own relief; I need to be aware of my enemy, but keep my focus on the Lord; I need to pray; I need to stay calm and confident, and give God time to work in every situation; when I am unsure of what the future holds, I need to take the next logical step by faith; I need to know - really know - the abiding presence of God; I need to trust God to deliver me/us in His own unique way; I need to see my present circumstances as an opportunity to strengthen my faith for the future; I need to never forget to praise Him.

May my final breath be a breath of praise to my Creator, Redeemer, and Sustainer.

A particular passage from this little book stood out to me this morning. In John 13:7, we read, Jesus answered and said, to Him, "What I am doing you do not understand now, but you will know after this."

We cannot fully understand what God is doing right now in these circumsatnces, but we will. And we pray that all who are observing will ultimately see God's power, wisdom, and grace at work in our lives -for His glory and our refinement.

My sister drove our two younger children to school this morning. My wife is busy with morning chores. We are preparing our hearts and minds for another great day in the Lord.

My heart is filled with thanksgiving and gratitude. With the joy of the Lord who is my strength.

No comments: