Tuesday, September 16, 2008

An Uneventful Day

Today was not what I would call an eventful day.

But it was a day that the Lord has made. And I rejoiced. And I was glad to be able to enjoy the day and the opportunities it provided to know Christ better and to serve others.

It is such a joy and a blessing to be able to serve others. By being an encouragement. By being a helper. By teaching. By listening. By being an example. Even when we may be physically limited in the ways we can serve, there are always ways we can minister to the needs of others.

Our younger son announced this evening that today was a great stay-at-home day.

This evening friends brought over dinner and dessert. We had a great meal together and a great time of fellowship. Even though our five-year-old tried to keep himself at the center of attention.

Our daughter is at an away soccer game. My wife will have to leave in forty minutes or so to pick her up.

I forgot to mention this earlier this week, but my daughter finally found a husband. Even though she is not allowed to date for another ten or fifteen years. The husband she found is actually a pillow that has two arm-like extensions for support. Sitting in the pillow, one feels as though she is being hugged. I imagine the name "husband" is derived from such a description. Apparently my wife and some of her friends also had husbands when they were in high school. Some waited until they were in college.

Our older son called a few minutes ago. Just to share how his day at WP was. He is trying to get plenty of rest and still get his work done. I did my best to encourage him as he continues to adjust from high school to college-level academics. He is enjoying and doing well in chemistry, which very much pleases his high school chemistry teacher (who also happens to be his dad).

He tells us that he is signed up to take Chinese as his language next year. It was a quick decision made during Cadet Basic Training this past summer. He is hoping that he can switch to Russian.

He is still working hard to stay on the sprint football team. The coach will be making final cuts after the game on Sunday. All in all, he has done pretty well for someone who has never before played organized football. Needless to say, I am proud of him and will be happy whether or not he makes the final cut.

My wife, son, and our friends picked two ripe pumpkins from our old garden this evening. I may have mentioned this already, but these two pumpkins are the progeny of a smashed pumpkin discarded in our old garden spot last fall. By a fluke, this patch of ground was not mowed this summer, enabling the pumpkins to grow under a cover of weeds until discovered a few weeks ago. What a pleasant surprise. And maybe the start of a new way of gardening for our family.

Thank you Lord for this uneventful day.

2 comments:

MyAwesomeOliveShoots said...

I think most of us take an unusual day for granted. Before I broke my foot, I didn't give a second thought to walking or the preciousness of being ambulatory. We are thankful that you have a sweet day with your family and give all the glory to Jesus.

Wayne Family Blessings said...

I’m glad you people have the enthusiasm to passionately comment on this page. My mom is really getting into my nerves so I can’t be as passionate as you people are. Maybe I should ask her to attend a family blessings seminar with me.