Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Two of My Favorite Quotes

I may have shared these in earlier posts, but these are two of my favorite quotes. Both hang in a prominent place in my classroom where I can read them every day - several times a day.

The wick exists only to be consumed. If it survives, it has failed of its purpose. There is no such thing as costless spiritual service. As we minister to others, virtue will go out of us. Ours is the privilege of offering ourselves as fuel for the flame of God.
- J. Oswald Sanders

To be used by God. What a privilege! When I leave the classroom at the end of the day, I do not want to leave having held back anything good from my students. I want to give them and God my best each day. I fail each day, but my goal each day is to be completely used up in service to the One who gave me life and breath.

I have now concentrated all my prayers into one, and that one prayer is this, that I may die to self and live wholly to Him. - Charles Spurgeon.

To die to self and live wholly to Him. A lofty goal. To remember that it is not about me, but all about Him. To give up my will for His. Again, I fail each day. But I owe it to Him to try. And try again. Each and every day.

I try to live out my faith before my students. I want them to see me trying to walk worthy of my calling in Christ Jesus (Ephesians 4:1). I want them to see me walking in the good works that God has prepared for me (Ephesians 2:10).

I want them to see me when, by God's grace, I am victorious. And I want them to see me when I fail and call upon the Lord for mercy.

I want them to see a man who loves the Lord and has chosen to live for Him.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so grateful for your commitment to role model your faith to our children/your students. Thanks so much...that is more important than any academic topic they will learn.

Anonymous said...

Dear Precious Jim and Merrily, I just learned about your blog last week. I finally googled for it today and found it. I'm so grateful. I wish I could be there and hug you all, but I know God will do that for me. I hope you know how much I love you and am praying for you. I have a cousin that's a Yearling (I think that's Jr.--it's been a long time)at WP. Hopefully he can meet Morgan--James. As I've been reading your blog, I've been thinking of you and your precious family. Kiss them all for me. May God touch you in a special way today, dear friend. Love, Tricia Wilson

Anonymous said...

Pastor Jim You have my daughter as one of your students. She sees the Lord in you. She always has a comment about your class or how you are feeling. About how you can stick it out through the pain. She has commented on your positive attitude and your joy through the cancer. You are a Blessing to your students they are learning more than academics as the other comments said. They are learning to trust God through trails, and have true joy in their hearts. Thank You and I Praise God for you and your family. One day you will hear"Well done, good and faithful servent.

Wayne Family Blessings said...

I’m glad you people have the enthusiasm to passionately comment on this page. My mom is really getting into my nerves so I can’t be as passionate as you people are. Maybe I should ask her to attend a family blessings seminar with me.

Googleman said...

I love those quotes. I can relate in my Covenant Marriage Seminars.