Thursday, September 18, 2008

Encouragement on An Index Card

Someone left me an index card on my desk this morning. On it was written the words of Isaiah 43:1-3a

Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine.
When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
And when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.


Though these words were written to Israel, we can take comfort in them today as God's adopted sons and daughters.

We have no need to fear, knowing we belong to the Lord. He has redeemed us by the blood of His Son Jesus Christ. He has called us by name. We are his.

We have no need to fear, knowing the Lord is with us. Through every trial we may face, He promises to be by our side. To protect us. To keep us from being consumed.

It is a beautiful pre-autumn day. Sunny and cool. Our daughter is at an away soccer game. Our younger son is sleeping on the floor of the living room. His K5 class had an extra day of school today. They went on a field trip to a local cider mill. My wife declared that today was a good day, as she held up a to-do list with all the items crossed off.

I am thankful that I have successfully made it through the fourth day of our first five-day week at school. I am thankful that God has allowed me the strength and has relieved the pain enough for me to do what I love to do.

And today, I am thankful for friends who encourage me with the word of God. In person. Over the phone. By letter or e-mail. Or on an index card.

2 comments:

suzyhomemaker said...

I hope your oncologist finds more information for you from MSKCC. I use them now. They have gone the extra mile for me. Trust in them as you explore options.

DO not be afraid of pain relief. If you have pain controlled, you are able to function and serve better. This I know from personal experience. When the pain reaches such an intense, constant basis, I am unable to eat and sleep. Then, I become unbearable and grouchy as a housemate here with my family. I have learned it is better to alleviate the pain so I can function. Then, I am able to serve and be part of my family and keep it all a positive experience.

I use several pain medications. Please ask your doctor about some choices. MSKCC believes it is important to keep pain manageable. I use a pain patch, nerve medicine and pills for actual pain that "breaks" through. My family is grateful for this so I can be a part of the home life. I am grateful to be able to function better. Think more about this before deciding against it.

Wayne Family Blessings said...

I’m glad you people have the enthusiasm to passionately comment on this page. My mom is really getting into my nerves so I can’t be as passionate as you people are. Maybe I should ask her to attend a family blessings seminar with me.