Saturday, September 13, 2008

My Times Are In Your Hand

But as for me, I trust in You, O LORD; I say, "You are my God." My times are in Your hand. Psalm 31:14-15a.

Like David, I choose to trust in God. No matter what.

He is my Lord. I choose to submit my will to His. He has redeemed me by His blood and has the right to tell me what to do, how to live. And His way is always better than my own.

He is my God. Because of Jesus Christ, I have a personal relationship with God. I do not practice a religion. Following Christ is not a set of "do's" and "don'ts." It is not a ritual or routine. It is not a way of trying to earn favor with God. It is a dynamic relationship based on His love for me and my love for Him.

My times are in His hand. I know that He is in control.

Commenting about this last part of the passage, Spurgeon makes several helpful observations.

God is near. Though He is far greater than His creation, He is, at the same time, intimately involved. He is always near.

Because my times are in His hands, I do not need to fear man. There is nothing that men can do to me that will affect God's love and care for me.

This passage reminds us that we have help in times of temptation. Because God is in control. I do not have to give in to the temptation to take matters into my own hands.

This passage is a cure for present worry. Why worry when God is near and in control?

It is also quiets dread of the future. God is at work in our present and holds the key to our future.

This passage gives us a motivation to serve God. God equips us to do everything we are called to do for Him. He will protect us and He is responsible for the outcome.

Finally, this passage reminds us of our future blessing. The God who is sovereign over our present circumstances has promised us (all those who have placed their trust in Jesus Christ and His finished work on the cross at Calvary) that we will be with Him for eternity.

My times are in Your hand.

Take time today to reflect on everything that means to you as a follower of Jesus Christ. And if you are not presently following Christ, ask yourself if placing your times in His hands is the right and reasonable thing to do.

1 comment:

googleman said...

Thanks so much for the information. I plan to write about Covenant marriage Seminars and your site has given some ideas. Great job, dude!