Sunday, August 31, 2008

Sneaking Cookie Dough

I almost skipped my post for today. But then I decided to make a quick post. Just a few thoughts on a Sunday evening.

We are having a great time with our older son, the West Point plebe.

I don't think anyone is happier to have him home than our younger son. They have spent time sword fighting, wrestling, and playing with Legos.

We have enjoyed hearing stories about Beast (Cadet Basic Training), Re-organization Week, and the first full week of classes. We ask questions, but mostly he just shares things as he thinks of them.

I am thanking God for this great weekend. Having the family all here. I am reminded how much I miss our older son. Our late night talks. The laughter. He has certainly left a hole here in our home.

Last night, my sister and her husband dropped by. They drove up from South Carolina for the weekend. In all, they plan to be here in Pennsylvania for less than 24 hours. I do not know how they do it.

We all went to church this morning. Our plebe, dressed in uniform, enjoyed some popularity as folks lined up to say "hello" or encourage him or to hear something about his adventures.

Others came by to tell me and my wife that they were saddened by our recent biopsy report and that they are praying for us.

After church, we were invited to lunch by a family that we have been trying to get together with for several months. We had a great time of fellowship.

Thankfully, my pain level was manageable this morning and early this afternoon. On the drive home, though, the pain started to increase.

This afternoon, some neighbors/friends dropped by. We were saddened to hear that one of their parents was recently diagnosed with cancer and not doing well.

As I have been writing, two of our son's friends dropped in. My wife is feeding them lasagna and leftover wings. She is also starting a batch of chocolate chip cookies. Everyone likes my wife's chocolate chip cookies.

If I hurry - and that is not easy to do with the pain and the crutches - I might be able to sneak some cookie dough!

No comments: