Wednesday, August 27, 2008

More on Joy

I awoke this morning with great excitement. Excitement that God has granted me another day. Excitement that I get to go back to school today. I will be happy if my students have only ten percent of the excitement that I have today!

After completing 1 Thessalonians, I decided to continue on with 2 Thessalonians in my morning devotions.

After a brief introduction in the first two verses, Paul thanks God for the growth in faith and love evident among these believers. Paul is filled with joy because of their growth, and gives God the credit – for He is the One who brings about change in people’s hearts and lives.

He then highlights, even boasts of their patience and faith in the midst of suffering. Again, it is God that deserves all the glory, because it is only by His grace that we persevere through trials and tribulations.

In his commentary on these verses Gary Demarest writes: Here are the signs of a contagious group of Christians. A growing faith, abounding in love, that transforms persecutions and tribulations into occasions for joy, is bound to make an impact on the world around it, including other churches.

God allows us to have joy in the midst of trials. In fact, He requires that of us. But when He requires us to do something, He also provides everything we need to do it. That joy is a result of faith, hope, and love – qualities found only in a growing relationship with Jesus Christ.

Today, I am filled with joy. Not because I get to go back to school today – although that makes me very happy! But because I am in Christ and Christ is in me. He is the source of my joy. A joy that remains in whatever circumstances I must endure.

2 comments:

MyAwesomeOliveShoots said...

Our family prayed for you, your family. It sounds like you have the right attitude and are keeping your eyes on the prize.

Sorry we didn't run/scoot/bump into each other at A-Day. I looked for you but I was so overjoyed finding my boy, you would have had to be right in front of me to notice.

Take care of yourself and stay strong. You are an inspiration to my family.

Jason Family Blessings said...

Sorry for interrupting but do you know any expert counselor or family blessings lecturer? I think with all the troubles my family is experiencing, we badly need either of the two. Thanks.