Wednesday, May 14, 2008

On Friends, A Cellular Protein called Laminin, and the Greatness of God

Friends are great! There are three things that keep me going during this chemotherapy: prayer, reading the Bible, and spending time with friends.

It is a wonderful blessing to have friends that love and encourage me.

Most evenings, our home is quiet. Sure, there are Nerf-gun battles, homework questions, and other family things, but there is a quietness. Last night was different.

Our friend Betsy called to tell us that she was on her way over with a pie that her daughter had made. Friends bearing apple pies are a special blessing. And there was whipped cream, to boot. Actually, to place on top of the pie.

While we were waiting for Betsy to arrive, our friends Frank and Rose called to say that they had something encouraging to share with us and would be over later.

What they had to share was a video from Lou Giglio on the greatness of God. I think that the video was entitled God Breath. In any case, it was a message that Lou gave on a concert tour. [Lou produces the Passion concerts aimed at the college-aged set. Chris Tomlin. Matt Redman. David Crowder.]

The heavens are telling of the glory of God; and their expanse is declaring the work of His hands. Psalm 19:1, NASB

Using images from NASA and the Hubble Space Telescope, Lou described the grand infinity of the universe. The greatness of God. How the infinity of the universe magnifies our insignificance. Yet, the God responsible for the cosmos knows each one of us.

We all need a clear vision of the glory of God. Isaiah received his in the sixth chapter. Go ahead, read it. I'll wait.

God is big. We are small. Yet God cares for us. We matter to Him. To demonstrate, Lou switches from images of the universe to images of a human embryo. We are fearfully and wonderfully made, as David wrote in Psalm 139:14. He described how 1,000,000 optical nerve cells start in the brain and reach out to perfectly join up with 1,000,000 corresponding nerve cells in the eye.

And he described a cellular protein called laminin, that holds the body together. If you search for an image of this substance, you will discover that it often takes the form of a cross.

We are reminded of Colossians 1:17, He [Jesus Christ] is before all things, and in Him all things hold together. We can trust Jesus Christ to hold our bodies together, just as we can trust Him to hold us eternally to His Father.

As I am reminded of the glory of God, I am reminded that the God who created the Universe is present with me. Because He loves me.

Does God understand what I am going through? Does He know me?

Giglio reminds his audience of what Isaiah writes in Chapter 40, verses 27-31 (NASB),

Why do you say, O Jacob, and assert, O Israel, "My way is hidden from the LORD, and the justice due me escapes the notice of my God"? Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth does not become weary or tired. His understanding is inscrutable. He gives strength to the weary, and to him wholacks might He increases in power. Though youths grow weary and tired, and vigorous young men stumble badly, yet those who wait upon the LORD will gain new strength; they will mount up with wings like eagles, they will run and not get tired, they will walk and not become weary.

God does care. He knows everything about us. God does not take away our pain, most of the time. Although He could and sometimes does. But He gives us strength to endure. He promises to be with us.

Being present with others during any and all circumstances of life. This is love. That is the mark of true friends. That is what it means to lay down one's life for another. To be present, to share in the experience (whether happy and suffering) no matter what happens.

2 comments:

maddie101artsy said...

Hello, again. It is good t oread your posts. Congratulations on making it through another round of chemotherapy. I will be praying for the healing of your body, the ability to recover from surgery even through drug treatment. It is truly amazing how strong our bodies are. Most of that, I believe, is due to our attitudes and beliefs. You are very strong in attitude and beliefs.

It is great that you are able to be out with your family and to meet with friends. I agree that time with friends is so important. It is that connection. We have the connection to God and yet still need the support and connection of fellow believers. I am so glad you have good friends.

God bless you today and fortify for many more days to come. May your body heal and may God as the original physician come and work on you.

Clare

maddie101artsy said...

Hey, I forgot to mention about medical support hose. The brand they gave you is Teds. You can buy other brands for yourself. The hose last about 3-6 months depending on the weather. When it gets really hot, and your body sweats more like in the summer, they seem to only last three months time. Oil seems to break them down. Wash each night by hand and hang to dry. I just use ordinary liquid dish soap to wash mine.

Anyway, when you go to buy a replacement pair, head in to Honesdale to Northeast Medi-equip on Main St. A lady worker will measure you the first time and help you get your first pair. I have them order Truform classic medical style stockings as they are cheaper at about $30 a pair. They come in skin color. I use the 20-30# compression, knee high style. I like the closed toe version.Ask your doctor what compression you need. You might be covered by insurance for these. I don't have insurance, so I don't know about it. I would think so as it is medically necessary.

I wear them because of the removal of lymph nodes during my surgery. Now, I also have a blood clot in the leg (developed even while wearing them). They really seem to help by keeping pressure on the legs to move fluid and blood back up to the upper body.

You can cheat in the hot summer months by lying down in the afternoon and taking them off while you are in that position. When I want to walk, I just put a ankle type cotton sock over them to wear my sneakers.

I think that once your leg heals completely, probably one year or less, you will be able to stop wearing them. I'm a "lifer" with them. LOL Just try to think of it as helpful, another tool God has placed into your hands to speed your healing.

Clare