Monday, July 14, 2008

Monday Morning Thoughts

Paul writes in 1 Thessalonians 1:2,

We give thanks to God always for you all, making menton of you in our prayers.

He wanted his brothers and sisters in Christ in Thessalonica to know that he, Silas, and Timothy were regularly praying for them. He recognized the importance of praying for one another in the Body of Christ.

As this was important to Paul, it should also be important to us - to cultivate mutual networks of prayer for the encouragement and edification of one another. Prayer binds us together, with God and with one another.

Yesterday morning, our Senior Pastor spoke on The Law of Love from Romans 13:8-10. The purspose of this passage is to renew our thinking (a la Romans 12:1) in relation to love. Paul calls us as believers to think of ourselves as debtors when it comes to love. Because of what Christ has done for us, giving s eternal life when we deserve death, we owe a great debt - to others. I owe others love!

Yesterday evening, our pastor did a devotional message on 2 Kings 4:42-44. We learned how important it is to be faithful in tough times, that God honors faithfulness, that even though what we offer seems inadequate, God makes up the difference.

Good stuff to chew on for the week. Challenging to put into practice, as I seek to pray for others regularly, love others by putting their needs first, and be faithful even in difficult situations. But God has equipped me to do these things. And He has give me His grace for when I fail.

Monday morning. It is the fifth day in my chemotherapy cycle and I am starting to feel some fatigue. Not as bad asI have in the past, but I suspect that my blood counts have decreased. There is a funny taste in my mouth and a wierd feeling in my stomach. A better description escapes me. I do not feel nauseous, but I do not feel normal.

My knee and ankle joints continue to improve in mobility, and my quad muscles continue to get stronger - due to physical therapy. Still, there is little or no healing in my leg because of the effects of chemotherapy. That will have to wait until chemotherapy is completed. My surgeon does not seem worried, and neither am I.

I continue to anticipate the new school year. I plan a little each day. I anticipate getting more involved in the ministry of our local church as the summer progresses. I feel like things are improving. I feel like my body is recovering from this cancer.

I will continue to trust God with my future, because He has been faithful to me thus far. That's my personal experience. But as I read my Bible, I know that He has always been faithful. He can be trusted.

1 comment:

James Family Blessings said...

Thanks to you, now I know what is the real value of Family Blessings! Thank you very much for this blog!