Monday, July 21, 2008

Defined by Christ

In 1 Thessalonians 2:7-9, Paul compares himself to a nursing mother. In verses 10-12, he compares himself to a loving father.

He writes that he exhorts, comforts, and charges the believers of Thessalonica as a loving father. Like a good father, he firmly yet lovingly challenges the believers to walk worthy of God. To live like children of God. To have a lifestyle that reflects their position in Christ.

He is lovingly reminding these believers that they have been called into God's own kingdom and glory and that they need to live out this reality. Paul gave a similar challenge to believers at the beginning of Ephesians 4.

As wonderful as it is to be a teacher, that does not ultimately define who I am. As consuming as it is to be a cancer patient, that does not define who I am. As a believer, I am defined by who I am in Christ. The challenge as a believer is to know who I am in Christ and to live like it.

1 comment:

Fietta Family Blessings said...

I don’t know what to say about the points you raised. I have undergone family blessings
a lot of times now, so I guess I couldn’t put in a negative word or two. I do like how you got your views across. Good luck to you.