Thursday, July 24, 2008

Apartness and Togetherness

It is said that absence makes the heart grow fonder. Perhaps. All I know is that I do not like being away from my wife. Thankfully, those occasions are rare.

I have a number of good friends that I do not get to see very often. In fact, one such friend is visiting this week and helping us with some home projects. Another good friend is planning to visit in early August.

With good friends, though, I have found that we can pick up our friendships, and many times our conversations, right where we left off. We may be separated by many miles, but we are never far apart.

In 1 Thessalonians 2:17-20, Paul is longing to see his brethren in Thessalonica. He misses them, but has been hindered from visiting.

In his discussion of this passage, Gary Demarest writes,

Togetherness keeps us in touch with reality. Apartness allows us to idealize the relationship. We need both. I find that the togetherness that follows the separation is always very special. The rhythm is very important to growth.

As much as I dislike being away from my wife and being separated from good friends, I have to agree with Demarest. Relationships grow through this cycle of apartness and togetherness. We can learn to appreciate the time apart. And we can look forward to and appreciate the times we are together.

1 comment:

Emmanuel Family Blessings said...

Sorry for interrupting but do you know any expert counselor or family blessings lecturer? I think with all the troubles my family is experiencing, we badly need either of the two. Thanks.