Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Joy and Affliction

My body continues to feel the effects of the chemotherapy. Yesterday, I helped my wife with a few small projects in the kitchen, but fatigued quickly. I took two naps yesterday. Mouth sores are being barely kept at bay by daily doses of L-Lysine and baking soda washes. As I suffer these effects, I have to remember all the good days that I have had in the past few months. I have had more good days than bad. And I am thankful for that.

Yesterday, at PT, I exceeded my goal of 130 degrees of rotation for my right knee - the right knee is now as flexible as the left knee. Now, we will focus on strength training. I did ten minutes on the stationary bicycle. It felt good.

This morning, I read 1 Thessalonians 1:4-6. In verses 4-5, Paul reminds the Thessalonian believers that they were called by God through the Word of God and the power of the Holy Spirit. In verse 6, Paul writes,

And you became followers of us and of the Lord, having receieved the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Spirit.

Here, he describes the joy that believers have, even in the midst of affliction. The call of God through Jesus Christ is a call to sacrifice and suffering. Obedience to God is costly. But there is joy in the midst of affliction. Joy in knowing Jesus Christ. Joy in knowing that as we suffer for His sake we will be drawn closer to Him.

2 comments:

MyAwesomeOliveShoots said...

Your wife was kind enough to post a message on my blog and refer me to yours. I am happy to meet another brother and sister in Christ and plebe parents! I'm passing your blog onto my husband and will spend time reading your entries. It sounds like you have a godly perspective on trials and that is so inspirational!

Stay strong and be courageous!

Fietta Family Blessings said...

I don’t know what to say about the points you raised. I have undergone family blessings
a lot of times now, so I guess I couldn’t put in a negative word or two. I do like how you got your views across. Good luck to you.