Friday, January 18, 2008

Life Is A Gift

These days, my family and I have been the recipient of many acts of sacrificial love and kindness. Being a recipient teaches many lessons about serving, giving, and gratitude . . .

Serving in self giving love is the most God-like thing a human being can do. John Ortberg

We have the example of God giving His own Son as the perfect sacrifice for our sins so that we may enjoy fellowship with Him for eternity. As we serve others, we partake in this same sacrificial love which God demonstrates for us.

Giving is an act of confidence in God. John Ortberg

As we give our time, money, and resources to others, we give up a little bit of control. We make a decision, conscious or unconscious, to trust God to meet our needs. We express a confidence that God will provide for our own needs as we provide for the needs of others.

I have been thinking about our tendency to hold on and protect our time, our money, and our resources. How much deeper would our confidence in God, how much deeper would our joy be if we learned to let go a little more and treat our possessions what they really are – resources given to us by God to be used for His glory and the benefit of others. I have certainly been challenged by the giving of others. But what steps will I take to put this into practice?

In Philippians 4, Paul writes of his joy that the giving of his recipients will be credited to their account (4:17). They are laying up treasure in heaven. In verse 19, Paul prays that God will supply all their needs according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. God is limitless. We can never out-give God! This reality was expressed recently by a Christian brother who wrote: Anything I can do to provide for you is a small thing considering the power of our God . . . This is the least I can do as a brother in Christ.

Gratitude is the ability to experience life as a gift. John Ortberg

Life is a gift. I thought I knew that. But having cancer has brought it home. Life is a gift. Each day is a gift. I am learning – yes, still learning – to be grateful for each day. Grateful for my salvation in Christ Jesus. Grateful for a loving wife and friend. Grateful for three great children. And grateful for the opportunity to be a trophy of God’s grace. If he can save and transform a wretch like me, then surely He can do the same for others.

1 comment:

frank said...

This is something I just want to share with "Life is a Gift".
We are God's living gift, Through his creation we are given a wonderful life with precious families. In part of me I treasured everything from my wife down to my children. Me and my wife shared everything what we have. The secret in our strong relationship is that we give importance in our
covenant marriage and we live life in a meaningful way, also to show our love for our family. Thanks for the post!