Sunday, April 20, 2008

This Is the Day!

This is the day that the LORD has made;
We will rejoice and be glad in it.
Psalm 118:24


Our Creator has given us another beautiful day. He is the Author of this day. Whatever happens today, this day is still under the control of our loving Heavenly father. We can rejoice and be glad, because God has given us this day to live and to know Him better.

You are my God, and I will praise You;
You are my God, I will exalt You.
Oh, give thanks to the LORD for He is good!
For His mercy endures forever.
Psalm 118:28-29


The psalmist had a personal relationship with God. He praised God, honored Him, and glorified Him. He thanked God for His goodness and for His enduring mercy. In order to genuinely praise and thank God in this way, it is necessary to know God. To know His character. To know that He is good.

A childhood prayer begins, God is great, God is good . . . I know that God is good because He always meets my needs. He always forgives me when I sin. He always loves me. He always gives me grace. In know that God is great beacuse He is always in control. He is always present with me. He never changes. He is always trustworthy. He is always wise in what He does.

The psalmist realized that God was more than enough for him. He is more than enough for me. As Paul noted in Colossians 2:10, I am complete in Christ. In Him, I have everything I need.

I take great comfort in the fact that in the psalms, we frequently find David starting out with a focus on his own circumstances. As he cries out to God for help, his focus is removed from his own troubles and placed on the sufficiency of God to meet His needs.

This is our daily challenge. To get our focus on God and His ability to carry us through the trials of each day in a way that glorifies Him and causes us to grow in Christlikeness.

So this is my challenge for today. To rejoice because God has given me this day. To recognize that He is in control. To glorify Him for who He is. To thank Him for what He is doing in my life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Today is Monday and another beautiful day. Like you, I praise God each morning and thank him for another day here on earth with my family. Life here is a challenge met only with the help of God. With it comes blessings and joy that are amazing, a taste of yet to come when we die. I know I am truly in God's hands, yet I might not be happy with some of thos eplans for me. It can be hard to be satisfied with the way things are going. Yet I know that this time I have here now is precious, so I try not to waste it in worry.

Today I am going for a walk with my husband. Although my stride is slow due to the stuff going o nwit hthe nerve damage, I treasure being with him and seeing the chages in the trees and plants on the dirt road we use.

I will take time to sew and work on another quilt. These quilts are for my children, my legacy of love to them. I want them to be able to wrap themselves up in something I made with love. I want them to have this comfort if my time draws shorter than I hope.

When my kids come home from school, I will work with my son on his homework, maybe even outside on the deck. I will chat with my daughter or take a stroll outside with her. I will make a nice dinner for everyone t oshare when my son gets back from karate practice.

It is these simple pleasures that make life so sweet and wonderful. I will think of you sitting on your deck, writing and reading, your wife lovingly taking care of you and the household, your son coming to you for help with homework, a nice dinner all together. May God bless you today with simple pleasures and joys.

Clare Adams

Andrew Covenant Marriage Seminars said...

Sorry for getting a bit off-topic here but I need to let you hear this out. I do not like how people treat marriage vows these days as if it’s just another walk in the park. That is why I urge everyone to join covenant marriage seminars to let you see that divorce does not solve your marr