Sunday, April 27, 2008

Personal Faith

Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin. Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need. Hebrews 4:14-16

Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. For consider Him who has endured such hostility by sinners against Himself, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. Hebrews 12:1-3

My faith is not in my circumstances or my experience of how God is working in my circumstances. Such a faith is easily eroded, as my circumstances change constantly, and my ability to perceive God’s working in my circumstances is limited. My faith is in the person of Jesus Christ.

When my circumstances do not work out, when I do not understand what God is doing in my circumstances, I do not lose faith.

The bottom line is that my faith is in the person of Jesus Christ, the One who lived a perfect life, took my sins upon Himself and died on the cross a Calvary, conquered sin and death, rose three days later, and now sits at the right hand of God the Father as my Advocate in Heaven.

If my faith were in my circumstances, cancer might destroy my faith. If my faith were in my ability to understand how God is working in my circumstances, my faith might be eroded as I wait to be healed. My faith is not a circumstantial faith.

But my faith is not eroded or destroyed, because it is a personal faith: I have faith in the person of Jesus Christ and what He promised He will do. He has not promised to take away my cancer. He has not promised me physical healing. He has not guaranteed me a certain number of years on this earth. But He has promised me life in Him, here and now, and eternal life with Him forever.

My faith is not based on how I feel. My hope is not based on how quickly I recover from surgery or the effects of chemotherapy. I trust in Jesus Christ. My hope is in Him.

2 comments:

maddie101artsy said...

I am like you, waiting in faith to be healed. Yes, I want to be healed, pray for it many times throughout the day, hope for it. Yet, I know I am in God's hands, and it is his decision what will come. Like you, I just have faith in Jesus, knowing he saved me and one day I will be entering heaven. That day may be sooner than I expected or hoped for, or I may be saved by GRACE of God.

Truly, life is a mystery with God holding al lthe answers. I do know that I have only right now, and I am cherishing my time with my family, loving them, playing with them, talking with them.

God bless you and heal you.

Arthur Covenant Marriage Seminars said...

Nice blog! I remember a blog about covenant marriage seminars with a similar discussion. What a coincidence.