Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Don't Waste Your Cancer

I recently read an article that John Piper wrote on the eve before his surgery for prostate cancer. The article is entitled “Don’t Waste Your Cancer.” If you are interested in reading Piper's article, you can search for it using the title. It is posted on a variety of websites.

In this article, Piper gives ten ways that we can miss important lessons and opportunities if we focus on the cancer itself and miss the bigger picture.

I would like to add another item to his list.

You will waste your cancer if you do not allow God to use it to confront you with the truth of the Gospel.

Often, God uses difficult life circumstances, such as cancer, to get our attention and to get us to think about His plan of redemption. If you are dealing with cancer or another challenging trial of life, take some time to ask yourself some difficult, yet important, questions.

Do you have a personal relationship with God the Father through His Son Jesus Christ?

Have you trusted in Jesus Christ as your Savior and Lord?

If not, ask yourself: Is God extending an invitation to me right now to become His child through faith?

Is He calling me to Himself? If so, what I am waiting for?

We all look for the purpose of our suffering. Why me, O God? Why now? Why this? Perhaps the answers to your questions are right in front of you. Maybe God is using this cancer to get you to see your need for Him.

Don't waste this opportunity.

1 comment:

Hector Covenant Marriage Seminars said...

I understand you. I guess that’s just the thing if you belong to the human race. That’s what I’ve learned when my wife and I attended a series of covenant marriage seminars.