Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Sharing a Good laugh with Friends

Solomon, one of the wisest men who ever lived, once said: A merry heart makes a cheerful countenance. (Proverbs 15:13).

It is often said today that laughter makes good medicine. If that is the case, my cancer should be cured after last night. I do not remember a time that I laughed as hard. We were with a group of friends watching a video about the differences between men and women. As the speaker described the differences between husbands in wives with great accuracy and humor we were, essentially, laughing at ourselves.

I was thinking that it is one thing to laugh alone. That is therapeutic in itself. But to laugh with others, that has to be even more beneficial to one’s health. The fact that the experience is shared with others makes it so much more meaningful.

God created us as human beings to share our times of joy and our times of sorrow with others. We are meant to share our burdens with one another in difficult times and to rejoice with one another when things are going well. [In describing basic Christian behavior, Paul wrote that believers are to rejoice with those who rejoice and weep with those who weep (Romans 12:15).] Of course, we are called as Christians to rejoice even with things are not going well. To count it all joy, as James tells us in the first chapter of his epistle. And friends can be a great encouragement to help us do that very thing.

I am thankful that God has blessed me with so many good friends. Friends that comfort and encourage me in difficult times. Friends that love me through thick and thin. Friends that aren’t afraid to tell me when I’ve strayed from the proper course and aren’t too busy to help me get back on the right path. Friends that pray for me. Friends that remain friends no matter how many miles separate us. It is good to have friends.

And there is nothing like sharing a good laugh with friends.

No comments: