Sunday, February 24, 2008

Beautiful Savior

It is a beautiful February day. A Sunday. A blanket of new snow sits on the ground while the sun shines brightly in a cloudless blue sky.

This morning in our morning church service, we sang the old familiar hymn, Fairest Lord Jesus.

Fairest Lord Jesus, ruler of all nature,
O thou of God and man the Son,
Thee will I cherish, Thee will I honor,
thou, my soul's glory, joy, and crown.

Fair are the meadows, fairer still the woodlands,
robed in the blooming garb of spring:
Jesus is fairer, Jesus is purer
who makes the woeful heart to sing.

Fair is the sunshine, fairer still the moonlight,
and all the twinkling starry host:
Jesus shines brighter, Jesus shines purer
than all the angels heaven can boast.

Beautiful Savior! Lord of all the nations!
Son of God and Son of Man!
Glory and honor, praise, adoration,
now and forevermore be thine.


As we sang, I was reminded that our Savior is even more beautiful than the snapshot of God’s creation that I was viewing through the auditorium window. While we sometimes tend to worship creation itself (and some choose to do so as a lifestyle), Jesus Christ alone is worthy of our “glory, praise, and adoration.” It is Jesus Christ, the Son of God, who reveals to us the glory of God the Father.

Everything that God has ever done, and everything He will forever do, He does with one intent: to reveal Himself and to receive honor and glory. Nowhere is that more clearly seen than through the Word: Jesus, the Word made flesh, and the Bible, God’s written Word. All throughout the scriptures, we see the different attributes of a holy God revealed to His people. David Nasser

So as I marvel at God’s handiwork in creating this beautiful day, I must see past this immediate beauty and see the eternal beauty of my Lord and Savior and the indescribable gift that God has given to us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Bond, I find myself checking all the time to see if you have a new blog. :) Your words have been a great encouragement to me; It is wonderful to see how much you love the Lord and are blessed by Him. The girls in my Unit and I are faithfully praying for you, and I hope to see you soon!